I would add, that you need to draw a line in the sand between the
'consumer' (don't flame me, I am just struggling to find a better term)
boards and those that are positioned for production/enterprise.  We can't
state that there is only one way that is the right way, that's not fair to
anyone, and counter-culture to the opensource view.   We can recommend a
best practice, and I think this thread is a really good start at that, but
it will always be a view that one can offer to the community.  Adoption is
a completely other thing.

Specifically for the 96boards, the spec is a recommended view, but its not
meant to be constraining, however it does allow one to then show a best
practice, that others can adopt.  That's where the RPB comes in to play,
again to demonstrate and not restrict.

On 5 May 2016 at 19:34, Amit Kucheria <amit.kuche...@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Mark Brown <broo...@kernel.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 09:01:05PM +0530, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> >> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Marcin Juszkiewicz

> design

> could be a

> >> Yes! I've added this suggestion to a list of suggestions for evolution
> >> of the 96boards spec.
> >
> > We already went round the houses repeatedly on that one :(
>
> Yes, but it wasn't in the list. So if we want to reject something (or
> make it optional), I'd like us to document why we reached that
> decision for posterity.
>
> As Grant mentioned elsewhere, the single-storage device configuration
> seems to be where a lot of the vendors seem to be focusing on.

Martin Stadtler
Director, Enterprise Group
Linaro Ltd
mobile: +44.7492180779