On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 12:20:40PM -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> But is it really worth trying after so long of the right thing not
> happening? If anyone really cared about making general purpose distros boot
> on embedded boards, efforts to compel standards would have happened years
> ago. To do it right, we would need to have a couple of vendors involved who
> could compel vendors to comply.

Distros care and currently do ship on such systems - Debian stable lists
a bunch of boards (something like 20 IIRC) as actively tested for
example.  The board and SoC vendors are to an extent irrelevant here,
when people do this they often don't use any of the software the board
vendors provide and just use things like upstream u-boot.  Coming up
with something that covers all the cases with minimal code for the
distros will make life easier for them, if board vendors want to pick it
up as well in what they're shipping (and ideally in how they spec their
media usage) that's great but we're already winning even if all the
board vendors totally ignore it.