On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 at 14:46, Steve McIntyre <steve.mcint...@linaro.org> wrote:
> Is it true that most PCIe graphics cards (and drivers) will also
> support GLES as well as GL? I've seen that asserted.

Supporting GLES doesn't mean applications will use GLES. Desktop
applications use GL/DX (via Wine)/Vulkan. I'm no expert in GL/GLES,
but I think they're quite different standards.

I can attest quite strongly that the DX-to-GL bridge done by Wine,
while commendable, is not how we want to present ourselves in desktop
environments. Vulkan is being pushed hard by some studios because it
happens to consistently outperform DX on Windows and it's much easier
to work with (sane standard). Valve is pushing Vulkan even harder, so
that it can work on Linux, too.

Any GL-to-GLES (or vice-versa) work will be thrown away. Moving ARMv8
towards GLES is a huge mistake, IMHO, and one which history will not
be too kind to. I can almost hear Linus saying something about video
quality on Arm.

--
cheers,
--renato