On Wed, Sep 22, 2010, Dave Martin wrote:
> I'm not a toolchain expert, so I'm happy to be overridden... but my
> _guess_ is:
>
> I think that in practice (at least on arm) cc -fPIC = cc -fPIE, and ld
> -pie just forces ld to generate PIC veneers (as for -shared).  Beyond
> this, I think ld -shared / -pie / (nothing) probably just changes
> which linker script is used by default.  U-Boot overrides the default
> with its own linker script anyway, so it may make no difference.

 Catching up on email, I just came across:
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/84789
 so it seems to be different, but not significantly

 I don't care too strongly, but it might make sense to try to use the
 flag which means exactly what we want to allow for future
 optimizations?

--
Loïc Minier