Hi,

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Michael Hope <michael.h...@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Dave Martin <dave.mar...@linaro.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Dave Martin <dave.mar...@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> Just to finish this thread off, the following decisions were made:
>  * -mimplicit-it will not be passed to the assembler by default
>  * Linaro as a whole and Linaro Foundations in particular will fix any
> problems upstream as found

Just to add to this, we need to work with the Ubuntu guys to ensure
that all problems caused by this compiler change are tracked.

I've seen a few bugs going past where the Ubuntu maintainers quickly
"fix" the affected package by building with -marm.  This is OK for
getting the package building in the short term, but we need to be
careful to ensure these problems aren't forgotten about.

Secondly, the people maintaining the affected upstream projects may
not be builing for Thumb-2 regularly-- this means that packages may
break again due to upstream maintenance.  In rare cases, maintenance
changes which cause incorrect execution in Thumb-2 might not cause
build failures.  We need to be vigilant about this, and accompany
changes pushed upstream with comments advising how to avoid this.

I expect the most practical approach is to write up advice on the wiki
or somewhere, and refer developers to it, especially linaro and
ubuntu-arm guys.  I can have a go at drafting that, but it may not
happen until January...

Cheers
---Dave