On 04/02/2012 03:04 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 09:19, Riku Voipio <riku.voi...@linaro.org> wrote:
>> On 31 March 2012 19:52, Dennis Gilmore <den...@gilmore.net.au> wrote:
>>> Linaro Connect and other events are probably the worst place for such
>>> decisions and discussions to be made. though maybe there is not a good
>>> place. the wider community needs to be engaged for greatest acceptance.
>>> otherwise then if falls into the vacuum of those attending the events.
>>> Like I said its not that it could never happen just that its not been
>>> discussed at all. so requesting that distros adopt it is a bit harsh
>>> and unrealistic.
>>
>> At Linaro conference the need for changing linker path was agreed on,
>> as well as the need to get a wide community agreement on it. To do the
>> latter, an ARM minisummit was organized on at Plumbers 2011 [1].
>> Invites to wide range communities and distributions were sent, and for
>> most someone attended. For the people not able to join physically, a
>> call-in line was organized (I was on the call for example). With the
>> expectation that people who attended in face or on call would convey
>> the message back to their own communities. This didn't seemingly
>> happen for everyone it seems.
>
> i agree that the ldso needs changing to something unique so everyone
> can start off on the same page with a sane path.  i don't think
> forcing everyone into the multi-arch stuff that debian is deploying
> makes sense though.  this seems like a fairly behind-the-back maneuver
> in terms of slipping it into mainline.

Right. For clarification, we (Fedora) have no plans to do multi-arch
(though I know many of us are personally interested in the idea). That
doesn't mean we can't have a platform specific linker path change.

Again, AArch64 needs to be perfection from day 1. There will be no
changing of linker paths or other nonsense after we ship something.

Jon.