On 24 May 2016 at 18:13, Peter Smith <peter.sm...@linaro.org> wrote:
> I think that the bit missing from Gold is the endian reversal code for
> instructions, in ARMv7 BE8. If that is implemented then no additional
> support is needed for LTO. I would suspect that it would be much
> quicker to implement BE8 support in gold than write a ld LTO plugin.

I remember some people not wanting to touch gold with a 10-foot pole,
but that might just have been my impression.

I agree that adding BE8 to gold would be easier, but there's a
difference between "works on my box" and "Linaro has validated it". I
wouldn't want to claim the latter if we only do the former.

> Not that it is of much use to you, but ARM's proprietary toolchain
> supports LTO for bare-metal via clang, including v7a, and we (ARM)
> haven't seen any problems with code-generation due to LTO in the tests
> that we run.

Big endian, too?