Hi Dan,

On 9 August 2016 at 11:04, Dan Handley <dan.hand...@arm.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a question about the impact of a binutils bug to do with parsing the
> .align assembler directive, which may appear soon in a Linaro GCC release.
> The bug was first discovered by Jérôme Forissier when building ARM Trusted
> Firmware with a non-Linaro toolchain:
> https://lists.linaro.org/pipermail/linaro-toolchain/2016-June/005768.html
>
> As Jim Wilson helpfully noted later in that thread:
>
>> This patch isn't present in the binutils-2.25 that tcwg is using.  The patch
>> is present in binutils-2.26.
>
> The bug is now fixed in binutils mainline:
> https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commit;h=7ea12e5c3ad54da440c08f32da09534e63e515ca
>
> But this was too late to be in the binutils-2_27 tag (3rd August)
>
> I'm concerned that this bug may appear in the upcoming Linaro GCC 6 stable
> release, which may have a significant lifetime. Can anyone comment on the
> binutils version to be used in the Linaro GCC 6 release? If a binutils
> version containing the bug is used, is it possible for this to be patched
> with the fix? I need to know whether we need to provide an interim solution
> in ARM Trusted Firmware.

Linaro GCC 6 release will use Linaro BInutils 2.26 branch which is
based on FSF 2.26 branch + some backports from mainline.  Thus, our
branch will indeed need to have this fix backported to avoid this
issue.  I don't see any blocker to do it, but will let people in
charge of our Binutils and Binariy releases to comment on the
feasability before the coming release.

Thanks for the heads up
Yvan