On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 8:29 PM,  <stim...@comcast.net> wrote:
> One sample configure I'm trying, where "/mnt" is a loopback mounted clone of
> the aarch64 system:
> ${SRC}/configure
> --prefix=/usr/local/aarch64-linux-gnu/gcc-linaro-6.1-2016.07
> --target=aarch64-linux-gnu \
>  --with-build-sysroot=/mnt \
>  --enable-languages=c,c++ \
>  --includedir=/mnt/usr/include

The problem here is that you are using --with-build-sysroot but not
--with-sysroot.  --with-sysroot enables support for sysroots.
--with-build-sysroot changes the sysroot value used during the build,
but does not itself enable sysroot support.  So using
--with-build-sysroot without --with-sysroot is useless.  This is
mentioned in the install docs.  You can specify --with-sysroot=/ to
enable sysroot support, without specifying an alternative host sysroot
dir.  That makes the build succeed.

I think the --includedir option here is useless.  includedir is
supposed to be for the dir where gcc header files are installed, which
is not /usr/include, but rather $prefix/include.  This should not be
necesary but appears to be harmless.

Jim