Good afternoon,
I would like to announce the breakthrough in extending gdb with non
intrusive instructions and functions tracing on ARM processors using
Coresight ETM traces, as described in previous mails.
the source code is made public in the git repository
https://github.com/gzied/binutils-gdb/ in the branch gdb_arm_coresight.
this implementation was compiled and tested on an STM32MP1 (ARMv7
Architecture) board running "Linux arm 5.3.10-armv7-lpae-x15" distribution
where the device tree was modified to declare CoreSight components.

to build the software
>checkout the software from the branch gdb_arm_coresight
> cd ..
>mkdir build
>cd build
> ../binutils-gdb/configure --with-arm-cs
>make
after a successful build gdb will be available in the folder build/gdb

to run the software
build the software you would like to debug with debugging info (-g flag)
>gcc -g software.c -o software
start debugging your software
>gdb software
set a breakpoint at main
(gdb) b main
(gdb) run
set a breakpoint in a location after the code you would like to trace
(gdb) b my_function
set your etm sink, sinks can be found by listing the folder
/sys/bus/event_source/devices/cs_etm/sinks/. use a sink that is capable of
storing the traces on chip (etf, etb ...)
(gdb) set record btrace etm sink tmc_etf0
start recording etm traces
(gdb) record btrace etm
continue the execution of the program
(gdb) c
wait until the breakpoint is hit,
analyse and display the traces
- on assembly level
(gdb) record instruction-history
- on c level
(gdb) record function-call-history /ilc
you can increase the number of instructions displayed by using
(gdb)  set record instruction-history-size size
(gdb)  set record function-call-history-size size

the work is still in an early stage and needs to be improved, extended and
stabilized. your feedback and contributions are welcome

Kind Regards
Zied Guermazi