> On 16 Apr 2020, at 00:16, Константин Аладышев <aladyshe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello!
> I know, this is probably a very stupid question, but I couldn't find an
> answer for it. On the page
> https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/latest-5/arm-linux-gnueabihf/
> there are 3 major download components: gcc/sysroot/runtime.

This is a good question.  Googling “sysroot vs runtime” I’ve found this
presentation, worth taking a look to learn about cross-toolchains (which Linaro
toolchains are).

https://elinux.org/images/1/15/Anatomy_of_Cross-Compilation_Toolchains.pdf

BTW, gcc-5 is ancient, and hasn’t been support for a long time.  Consider
switching to a toolchain based on GCC-9.

> I download 'gcc', add 'gcc-linaro-.../bin' to my PATH and cross compile my
> apps.
> On my target system, I need 'libc', and it is present in the
> 'sysroot-linaro-...'.  Do I need to copy all of the contents of
> 'sysroot-linaro-...' folder to my target?

The runtime is a subset of sysroot.  You need to copy runtime to your target
/if you use dynamic linking/.  You can use “ldd” utility to identify libraries
that your application depends on and only copy those (i.e., no need to copy
libpthread.so for single-threaded application or libstc++.so for C application).

> 'linaro-sysroot' folder is kinda
> big. 'libc.so' library is 13MB.

Yes, glibc is big.  If you have a single application, you could try statically
linking, which will bring in only the parts of libraries that your application
depends on.  However if your application consists of 2-3 binaries, then using
shared libraries gives more disk and RAM savings than static linking.

> If there is a way to decrease its size, if
> I want to use Linaro compiled programs on an embedded target?
> And what is a purpose of 'runtime-linaro-..." component?

Regards,

--
Maxim Kuvyrkov
https://www.linaro.org