To add to David's answer, here is the logic that enables ccache in
Linaro-maintained buildbots:
https://git.linaro.org/ci/dockerfiles.git/tree/tcwg-base/tcwg-llvmbot/run.sh#n48
 .

We have experimented with using zorg's CCACHE settings a few years back, and it
turned out to be more robust to configure ccache at the level of default system
(well, container) compiler.

One thing to check is whether default 5GB cache limit fits us well.  IIUC,
flang builds are particularly big, and they may overflow the cache size.

--
Maxim Kuvyrkov
https://www.linaro.org