I am staying inside today because of the air quality alert due to the smoke from the western wild fires. It brings back a memory from my childhood.

When I was living near Pittsburgh, PA, in September 1950, a huge plume of smoke from extensive wild fires in Alberta, Canada, descended on the area. At mid afternoon, it was so dark it looked like night time. I remember going outside with my grandmother to look at the dark sky, noticing that the street light had come on. I have never forgotten the eerie sight.

Let's hope our current smoke plume doesn't get that bad!

--
Ruth Ann Hendrickson
(She, her)