*To Lincoln,*

This notice was sent to me from a high school classmate who now teaches at
Cornell.  I hope it will be interesting to you.  It will be shown on Monday
night at 10 PM on Channel 2.  If that time doesn't work for you - tape it
and watch it later.   It promises to be very interesting.

Thank you.  Sarah C H

*A film, and a filmmaker, transformed in ‘A Reckoning in Boston’*

By Matthew Gilbert
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/about/staff-list/staff/matthew-gilbert/?p1=Article_Byline>
 Globe Staff,Updated January 14, 2022, 2:20 p.m.

<image001.jpg>A scene from "A Reckoning in Boston."Lost Nation Pictures

The Clemente Course in the Humanities gives low-income adults a chance to
learn about literature, history, and philosophy for free. In 2014,
filmmaker James Rutenbeck began filming a documentary about the Dorchester
location of the national organization and the transformative power of the
humanities. But in the process, as he began to focus his story on two
students, he started to feel his distance from the subject of his own movie
as a white man from a privileged background.

His project evolved. Those two students, Kafi Dixon and Carl Chandler,
became producers of the resulting documentary, called “A Reckoning in
Boston,” as well as co-narrators. On *Monday at 10 p.m. on GBH 2*, the film
will have its PBS premiere as part of the* “Independent Lens”* series.

When it appeared in last year’s Independent Film Festival Boston, then
Globe film critic Ty Burr called it “a superb examination of our city’s
inbred racial inequities that tackles the subject on both the
systemic/structural level and the deeply personal.”

Rutenbeck, in a release, explains what happened while he was making the
film: “I realized ever-present structural racism was something I could no
longer ignore, and with the help of my subjects, co-producers and friends
Kafi and Carl, we transformed the film. Our collaboration led to an honest
and raw exploration of economic and racial inequality, in a city with a
glaringly wide racial wealth divide. I hadn’t really understood the lives
of low-income people of color, and had failed to recognize my own
complicity in the structures that were holding them back.”