Thanks back to Dennis Liu for continuing this interesting discussion. I
have some responses:

A.   “the cost here is losing the possibility of having a real discussion
on the merits of the matter” >> There can be no such cost, because no bylaw
will pass later without ample public discussion and a vote at Town Meeting.
If your point is that we should agree on bylaw text now, before we seek
authority to adopt a bylaw, I’ll just say that many reasonable minds
disagree with your position.

B.   “If we truly believe that it’s important for the STATE of
Massachusetts to so do, then why would we not focus on doing THAT”. >>We
are! Very important. Town-level efforts support state-level efforts.

C.   “instead of creating yet another disincentive for people who might
consider living/working in Lincoln” >> I don’t believe this will create any
such disincentive, in part because the cost impacts are so small, if any.

D.   “the estimate that up to a quarter of buildings in use three decades
from now are yet to be built, even if true, ignores the problem that
proponents otherwise tout – that we need to take action TODAY” >> No it
does not ignore that. Every new building built now operating on fossil
fuels is a mistake that digs our whole deeper, and the cumulative amount
over coming decades is not trivial. That’s why we need to take action
starting today.

E.   “wonder how many builders will be forced to install either electrical
resistance heating or fossil fuel heating systems as a backup, due to heat
pump limitations when faced with frigid winter temperatures here in Lincoln”
>> Air-source electric heat pumps are available now that can handle the
coldest Lincoln days without an alternative system as a backup. As a matter
of cost optimization, some owners / builders nevertheless may choose to
install a system that would be supplemented on rare days by some sort of
electrical resistance heaters.

F.    “wind and solar combined generate *11% *of total electricity
generation in the US, and that’s with MASSIVE subsidies” >> The continuing
subsidies to the fossil fuel industry are much, much bigger. New wind and
solar power is now so cost-effective that ISO-NE, our hidebound regional
grid operator, is trying to block wind and solar power from winning "too
many" contracts to feed into our regional grid because otherwise they will
underprice & beat out traditional fossil-fuel-generated power.

G.   “solar and wind generation is at least a full human generation away”
>> If you mean to completely replace all fossil-fuel-generated power with
renewable energy, yes, maybe it will take 20 years. But that doesn't mean
we need to wait for that to finish before electrifying housing and
transportation can start. We can, and must, advance both in parallel.

H.   “why wouldn’t we want to frack for more natural gas right now”.
Because we don’t need to (see above); it would be irrelevant to our
regional grid (which is already less than 1% coal and oil); and its
marginal improvement over coal and oil isn’t enough. Gas is the problem,
not the solution.

I.     “thanks to the free market, free trade, the exponential growth of
technological innovation and the spread of western-style democracy over the
last two centuries, humanity has been doing GREAT” >> I pretty much agree
with that trend description in terms of overall reduction in human
suffering. However, that doesn’t mean we can ignore hard evidence in front
of our eyes that some things now must change fast, or that happy trend will
reverse. *Scientists agree that the next decade is crucial in substantially
reducing our global-warming emissions.* So let’s get started.

- Paul Shorb