Here's a California girl's tip to save otherwise-wasted water for those
outdoor plants:

Keep buckets or small plastic trash cans in your kitchen and bathrooms.
Stick them under the faucet or shower stream to catch cold water while you
wait for the hot water to come up. Keep the bucket in the shower or tub
while you wash up to catch the water that doesn't hit your body. (Just be
careful to position the bucket so you don't get soap in it.) Depending on
the number of people in your house, you may find yourself with 2-5 extra
gallons of water a day.

Sasha Golden