Regarding “open space”, I am more familiar with one of these towns—Bolton.
Bolton has a number of commercial farms and orchards. So, while it appears that
there is open space, it’s taxable land. I do not know what the tax rate for
working farms are.  A quick search shows there are at least 20 working farms in
Bolton. Likewise, Harvard has 19. Therefore, the numbers may not be so
comparable.