Dear Lincoln Residents,

My name is Peter Buchthal and I am running for one of the two open Lincoln
School Committee Seats.   I believe in the value of a great public
education.  I feel lucky that I grew up in Scarsdale, New York, which has
one of the strongest Public School systems in the country.   After
Scarsdale, I went to Carnegie-Mellon University and graduated at the top of
my class.  I then worked at IBM and Oracle Corporation for a couple of
years. I left Oracle to serially start two successful Oracle related
businesses that I grew from nothing, hired employees, raised capital, built
a product, gained customers around the world and eventually sold the
businesses to public companies.   I know how to see and understand the
needs of customers and solve problems.

Even though Lincoln is only K-8, I believe Lincoln could be one of the best
school districts in the Boston area.  However, I am troubled by the high
attrition of current students when compared against many other school
systems in our area.  I have been told by many that some Lincoln families
pull their children out of the school and send their children to Private
School. Some of these neighboring districts (i.e. Weston, Lexington) are
also very affluent like Lincoln, but their students do not leave their
school systems in similar numbers.    As a School Committee member, I would
prioritize learning the reasons families are voting with their feet and try
to improve our school to meet more of our school family needs.  I promise
to be open and transparent with our findings.

The data below comes from here
https://profiles.doe.mass.edu/statereport/attrition.aspx and reflects % of
attrition by grade (students not returning following year). Given how low
the turnover of housing is in Lincoln, the root cause is not people moving
out of town. In case anyone hypothesizes that our high attrition is due to
our higher METCO percentages, the conclusions don’t change even when we
isolate METCO out.  I believe it is very important for School Committee
members to not only look at Lincoln data (as normally provided by the
School administration), *but also the data from neighboring towns.*

*District Name*
*2*
*3*
*4*