Rachel's comment assumes that developers have large multi-acre lots.  That will
not always be true.  For example, consider Lewis Street.  The majority of lots
on Lewis Street are smaller than a half acre.  if Lewis St. were rezoned to 15
units/acre, developers of these small lots could easily opt for maximum profit
while producing no affordable units.  The decision for them would look
something like this:

Shall I build 5 units and avoid the town's affordability requirement, or should
I max out my development potential and build six or  or seven units but be
forced to provide an affordable unit?  Faced with this decision, I suspect that
developers will build 5 luxury units rather than deal with the affordability
requirement.

Bob Domnitz

To the point about a lack of affordability in the HCA - any housing
developed in zones that comply with the HCA will have to meet existing town
requirements, which already mandate that any development with at least 6
residences include designated affordable housing (and at least 15%
affordable in developments of at least 30 units). So it is not the case
that "all housing developed can be luxury, high-end housing", unless a
developer opts to build at no more than a one-residence-per-acre density
(e.g. 5 residences or less on a zone of at least 5 acres, as all HCA zones
are required to be) - which would seem to me to be a poor use of land that
allows density of 15 residences per acre.

Rachel Drew