Getting Ready for Spring! The Lincoln Garden Club is having their biennial
Plant Sale on Saturday May 13th. It will be held at Station Park this year, at
the corner of Lincoln Rd and Ridge Road, across from the Post office. The plant
sale will run from 11am - 2pm.

The plants sold come from our members’ gardens, parks we maintain, and from
generous donors around town. If you have plants to donate, please contact me.
There will also be garden paraphernalia for sale. We’ll even have a few
handmade bluebird nesting boxes for sale which you could set up right away and
maybe catch a second laying!

We will have some native plugs ordered through commercial nurseries. These are
very small and will need babying in a pot or well tended garden plot.
Eryngium yuccifolium: Rattlesnake master
Polemonium reptans: Jacob’s ladder
Packera aurea: Golden Ragwort available after 6/19
Aquilegia canadensis: Eastern red columbine available on or after  5/19

The plant sale is always a fun time to share plant knowledge and see friends.
We will have some snacks in Station Park and you can tour our flagship garden.

The garden club first heard about jumping worms in 2020 and then we had a
really wet spring in 2021. There was an explosion of reports to the state of
Massachusetts of jumping worm activity. The one good thing about them is that
they die each winter and hatch from eggs in the spring. A telling sign is a
significant pile of castings that look like coffee grounds were dumped on the
lawn or garden. Last year was very dry so there was little evidence of the
worms.

Many garden club members have seen jumping worm activity on their property. If
you have not, please don’t purchase plants from the sale. We don’t want to
spread these critters.

If someone offers you a plant that you can’t resist, the best plan is to shake
off the soil and rinse the roots until clean. Eggs are the size of a poppyseed.
If there is not enough rainfall, the eggs will remain until next year. Jumping
worms cross roads on a hot summer day, climb trees, and travel quickly up
through the bottom of pots.

Belinda
781-577-7004