from dave epstein wcvb meteorologist:'

“What’s with the lack of forsythia blooms this year? They seem to be going
straight to green leaves! I usually cut a few branches early and bring them
inside to force them and get some nice yellow in my kitchen but even those only
had leaves. What happened this year?” — Tammy

The lack of blooms is likely because of this winter’s weather patterns, Epstein
said.
“It's because of the lack of cold, then that extreme cold in February,” he
said.
Plants were getting ready to bloom in the mild winter weather, only to be hit
by a sudden freeze in February. While budding leaves, which tend to be hardier,
survived, more sensitive flowers did not.

“That cold, it did a number on a lot of blooms,” Epstein said. “There’s no
peach crop in New England this year because of it.”

Epstein said he’s seen a handful of forsythia blooms. And even without blooms,
the forsythia plants are probably doing fine if leaves are coming in, he said.

“The plant itself is fine,” Epstein said. “Same thing on some of our early
rhododendrons, same thing on some of the magnolias, some of the Yoshino
cherries are not blooming at all this year.”
Same goes for rose bushes, Epstein said. He’s encouraging people to use a bit
of liquid fertilizer on their rose bushes.
katherine mierzwa