Wednesday, May 10

6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

Parish House 14 Bedford Road, Lincoln

JOIN US FOR AN ADVENTURESOME AND ENLIGHTENING

FOOD FOR THOUGHT SUPPER AND  DISCUSSIO0N OF

SIDETRACK

AN INNOVATIVE 1971 EXPERIMENT IN EDUCATIONAL INTEGRATION FOR

LINCOLN AND ROXBURY  7TH  AND 8th GRADERS

WITH PARTICIPANTS

PETER THOMSON (LINCOLN) AND TRACY STEELE (ROXBURY)

                                        What was their experience as Roxbury
& Lincoln middle schoolers in the program?

                                        How did it affect their lives & help
shape the adults they have become?

                                        What can we learn today from this
"forgotten" experiment in educational integration?

WHAT WAS SIDETRACK?   In 1971 two groups of 7th graders from Roxbury and
Lincoln spent the school year studying together for the first semester in
one community and the second semester in the other.    A 50-50 project  as
determined by race, gender, geography, and teachers, its purpose was, in
part, to enable students to explore each community beyond the classroom.
Fifty years later, one of those 7th graders , Peter Thomson, has tracked
down a good portion of his classmates to see whether and how the experience
has affected their lives. He has written of this experience in an extensive
article which you can read in the Ideas section of the Boston Sunday Globe,
January 22, 2023.
<https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/01/17/opinion/radical-forgotten-experiment
-educational-integration-that-changed-my-life/>
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/01/17/opinion/radical-forgotten-experiment-
educational-integration-that-changed-my-life/

 WHO:

          Peter Thomson is an award-winning journalist, author, editor, and
radio producer with special emphasis on environmental and climate concerns.
He is widely known for his book,
<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/travel/25armchair.html> Sacred Sea: A
Journey to Lake Baikal, published by Oxford University Press.  Peter grew up
in Lincoln, was active in First Parish's YPC, attended Lincoln-Sudbury High
School,  and now lives in Boston with his wife and daughter.

            Tracy Steele is a Boston native with strong ties to his
community. Now living in Ashland, MA, Tracy is a Senior Vice President at a
leading Software Technology company, where his passion for giving back has
been realized through the company's charitable giving program. Tracy has
teamed up with Nonprofit Tech Goes Home and NETSCOUT to Expand Digital
Access in the greater Boston community, making a tangible impact on his
hometown of Roxbury.

INTRODUCTION:   Rev, Nate Klug

FACILITATORS:   Ken Hurd and Barbara Slayter

SPONSORED BY:  FPL's Racial Justice Journey

No RSVP Required!  Childcare provided.

Recommended donation to cover cost of the home-cooked meal prepared by our
own talented FPL "Chefs"!

            Adults $10, children $5, families $25 max.