I agree also.  Thanks, Sally, for putting in writing what I hear many saying.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2023, at 2:08 PM, sally kindleberger <skindleber...@gmail.com> wrote:

I agree with you.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 1:52 PM llas902...@aol.com <llas902...@aol.com> wrote:
Thank you Sally for your thoughtful, caring, important, and true words. We can really use a new Community Center for all 60+ including making the center accessible  to those with disabilities.  The state has given direction to MBA towns for more housing. More people  will use the center.
On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 1:41 PM, sally kindleberger

In Support of a Community Center

Recently I attended the CCBC meeting in an effort to learn more about the process and the objections to a new building.

I believe that we need to work together in a cooperative way.  When the schools were rebuilt it was a huge cost to taxpayers.  My taxes went up significantly, but I was willing to pay them because I believed that it is important to pay it forward to support the generation that is coming behind us.  I have no kids, but I know education is one of the most important things we can do for our children, our future, and our country.

During the time that the schools were being built, folks that use the Rec. Department and the Council on Aging And Human Services were told to be patient.  Once the schools are built, a Community Center will follow.  But low and behold there has been a huge pushback.  There are a number of people who want to reduce the building size significantly!  This will make it difficult for the current programming to happen. We have been told that activities could be housed elsewhere. (That would put huge stress on the employees of all three departments, who would have to drive all over.)   We were told that people are being forced out of town because they can’t afford the taxes. I have talked to others who dispute this assertion. There are those who are demanding the Parks and Rec Department and the COA take data proving the value of the project.  This put tremendous strain on the FOUR full-time employees at the COA.  How can they do their real jobs if there is continuous demand that they prove their value? Perhaps those asking for and needing additional data could come and gather it themselves.

I attend many events at the COA and before the Pandemic I was at the Rec Department taking classes twice every week.

I think it would really help those who question the value of this new build is to take the time to attend classes and activities at both the COA and the REC Department.  By attending programs/activities over time and talking to participants you will see the real value of what is provided as well as some of the concerns about the current spaces.  This can’t be done on a drop-in basis.  One needs to spend time in order to fully experience the programs that are provided. And there is so much more programing that could be provided.  Off the top of my head I can think of 5 or 6 new classes that would be great - Story telling, Improvisation, sign language, Granny and Grandpa reading programs with little kids, support groups for struggling kids, text support provide by the middle schoolers, self-defense and much more.  But we need a building with enough space to accommodate programming and to meet the needs of the hoards of baby boomers who are knocking at the door.

I do understand the concerns of people about costs, but if a build continues to be put on hold, or a new building can’t meet programming needs what is the point?  Costs will only go up and up.  I don’t see them ever going down.  Now is the time to seize the day and build something that everyone can be truly proud of.  Lincoln is a town filled with creative and thoughtful minds.  We need to work closely and collaboratively together to find a good solution to meet the needs of all!

Thanks, Sally