For what it's worth, until our move this week, I lived a 2 minute walk from
the Commuter Rail station, but I found that the train didn't run often
enough to be helpful to me (I work in Cambridge). I've taken the train a
few times when using my car wasn't a choice and it was miserable. Based on
reports from friends, it is also not reliable enough for me to plan to take
it when, say, I have to be on campus on time to teach - there's no wiggle
room on that one. Finally, I need to take the Red Line a few stops, and it,
too, has not been reliable enough to count on. And, personally, I find the
noise of the train and the T overwhelming and incredibly stress-inducing.
This doesn't even take into account the cost - even with a heavily
subsidized pass, I wouldn't save enough money on a per-trip basis to induce
me to stop driving. Since early 2017, I have worked in climate education,
with the goal of fighting the climate crisis, and even I can't bring myself
to use public transport anymore. My goal now is to budget wisely enough to
be able to buy an electric vehicle in the next few years - I can't even
wrap my head around how much would have to change to get me back to taking
public transport on a regular basis (before the pandemic I lived in
Arlington and ONLY used the bus/T to get to work. Even then the noise and
the crowds were awful, but given that my T-pass was free, I couldn't
justify EVER driving to campus.)

Building more housing by the train station (or in other parts of Lincoln)
is, in my own opinion, truly necessary for a host of reasons, but for it to
really work, we need to figure out how to get our elected officials to make
the train easier to use - it needs to run more often, more reliably, at a
more affordable rate, and, for me, at least, it needs to be quieter.
Without serious improvements to our public transport infrastructure,
building more housing only solves one part of the issue (the stupidly tight
housing market) without considering the larger structures in which that
housing is situated.

Just my $0.02. :)

Best,
Rachel