I think it is fair to say that there are people at the extreme on not both, but all sides of the conflict in the Middle East who do want to commit genocide against another group. And, there are good and kind people on all sides who want to find a way to peace for all. Between these views there is a huge and variegated range of other views, all of which have validity in the eyes of those who hold them.

Recent, not so recent, and even ancient history in that region is full of conflict and “justifications” for the extremists, and there is also reason for deep fear among both peace-loving Jews and well as peace-loving Palestinians.  We must take the time to listen deeply and understand all sides before we judge or take a position. For those who have yet to understand the view of moderate Palestinians who themselves condemn Hamas, I recommend the website jerusalemstory.com which provides a highly factual explanation and recitation of recent history from the Palestinian vantage point. Because of the atrocities of WWII, we are all at least familiar at a rudimentary level with events that illustrate the horrors that have been visited in Jews, although we can and should always be learning more. And, because of this history, we must continue to stand strong with Israel. However, Israel - of all the countries in the world - has an obligation not to treat others as it has been treated, and we must continue to counsel that approach.

Suffice it to say this is a very, very, VERY complicated situation. There are so many viewpoints that it is impossible to fully understand all of them. My heart goes out every day to everyone who is directly suffering as a result of the ongoing conflict.

- Sent from iPhone. Typed by thumb. Excuse misspellings!