I think it’s important to clarify how long the options being put forth to
vote have been studied. The HCA proposals the HCAWG is asking the town to
vote on have only been around for around 6 weeks (option C was presented at
SOTT on Sept. 30th and options D1-D3 on Oct. 24th). The only real time to
discuss any of the options was during the November 8th forums. Both forums
were packed and many questions were left unanswered.

Compliance is not required until December 2024. Residents are asking for
more time for discussion and learning, time we have. In the spirit of
democracy, why not allow that time for discussion so residents can cast an
informed vote?

Up until August 2023, mixed use rezoning did not count towards HCA
compliance. When the State changed the guidelines to allow mixed use, the
HCAWG asked Utile to create our current Option C. It was voted on at SOTT
on September 30th. Before this, rezoning the mall would have had to be
presented separately. There were several mistakes in the (rushed)
submission to the State that were corrected thanks to residents’ input.

Options D1-D3 were presented to the public on Oct 24th.

While the HCAWG has been meeting for a year (first meeting was in October
2022), the state guidelines keep changing. The MBTA requirement was reduced
from 100% to 20%. MMU was added as an option (not requirement) in August of
this year. Who is to say there aren’t other changes coming?