I used the bus service to Alewife to get into Boston for about three
months.  I would not recommend using the bus to commute to Boston
especially if you live in south Lincoln.  While it is about a third cheaper
than the commuter rail monthly pass, it is very slow, uncomfortable, and
can be dangerous.  I would budget two hours in morning and three hours in
evening to get back and forth.

if you are using it as a commuter, the bus is frequently off schedule so
add time.  In the morning there were always seats and ran close to schedule
but the bus filled up as it slowly worked its way thru Lexington.  Time to
get to Alewife is about one hour plus any waiting time.   Then you would
take the red line into boston which has had had many delays so add generous
time to get into Boston.

The evening route was truly horrible-one of the worst of any public
transportation system I have experienced.  First, you have to get to
Alewife from Boston and there are many delays so add  a lot of  time.  If
you miss one of the infrequent evening busses and by then crowds of people
were waiting  to cram onto bus and you have to stand outside to keep your
place for at least an hour.  Regularly, the driver did not know the routes
and riders were coaching along the way.   Once when I as really desperate,
I took Bedford bus and got off at I-95 overpass and walked to  parking
space in Lincoln. But it is very dark,heavy traffic and there are few
sidewalks on 2A and it took a lot of time.

Regards,
*Stephanie Smoot*

857 368-9175  work
781 941-6842  personal cell