For many years Mass Audubon has recommended removing bird feeders at the end
of February to avoid attracting bears to the food source as they come out of
hibernation.

"In communities in central and western Massachusetts inhabited by black
bears, we recommend that bird feeders and suet feeders should be removed
from yards between March and November, the months when black bears are
active. Some bears can remain active in winter if food is available, so if
you see signs of bear activity you should remove your feeders." (From link
below under Should I Stop Feeding Birds In The Summer)

https://www.massaudubon.org/nature-wildlife/birds/bird-feeding

Liz Williamson, DVM

Lincoln, MA