Much to do and learn for the rest of July-
Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

From: Freedom's Way National Heritage Area <ptodisco-freedomsway....@shared1.ccsend.com>
Date: July 1, 2024 at 10:00:34 AM EDT
To: samat...@gmail.com
Subject: Summertime in the Heritage Area

JULY 2024

Longfellow's Wayside Inn, Sudbury, Massachusetts

Summertime in the Heritage Area

Every month the National Park Service celebrates different national holidays and initiatives that provide opportunities to share their mission with the public. Not surprisingly this July, in which the 248th Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence will be commemorated, “America at 250: Advance Equality and Justice for All” is one of those initiatives.

Within Freedom’s Way we, and our many partners, are deep into exploring and planning for the 250th to share new perspectives on the impact of that event on the region. To serve as a platform for that exploration, we invite you to peruse Freedom’s Way 250 which features our multi-year initiative, Revolutionary Stories and resources to help plan for the coming year. As a curated overview of the region’s activities, it’s a work in progress and we invite you to let us know what you are planning, so we can share and support your work.

As we reflect on the extraordinary diversity of the Freedom’s Way National Heritage Area, let’s celebrate the spiritual and cultural vibrancy of the region, as we look to the coming year.

July Highlights & Features

Introducing Kristen M. Delatour,

Public History & Digital Media Intern

Kristen M. Delatour is a public history and digital media intern for Freedom’s Way National Heritage Area and Minute Man National Historical Park. She is a master's student in historical archaeology. Her research interests include the study of racialization and labor within enslaved and free Black people within the Northeast.

As an intern, she will continue historical research on Case Whitney, a formerly enslaved man who labored at The Wayside in Concord, Massachusetts. Kristen will aid in reinterpreting archaeological collections from the Casey House Site, featured throughout Freedom’s Way National Heritage Area and Minute Man National Historical Park media.

Interpretative goals will be centered around understanding the lives of enslaved and free Black people within Concord. As we continue this research, we are excited to share new narratives exploring Black histories in New England.

Welcome Kristen!

How We Remember:

1836 Battle Monument

Originally intended to be sited in the town's historic center, Concord's 1836 Battle Monument now stands within the boundaries of Minute Man National Historical Park on land donated by Reverend Ezra Ripley, D. D., minister of Concord’s First Parish Church and a resident of the nearby Old Manse.

Construction of the monument began in 1836 and concluded with a dedication ceremony on July 4th, 1837—one hundred eighty-seven years ago this Independence Day.

DISCOVER ITS STORY

We've Been Selected!

Applicable only at Hannaford, 18 Main Street,

Harbor Village, Townsend, MA during July 2024

What's Happening in the Heritage Area
VIEW FULL CALENDAR
Do you have an upcoming event that you would like us to share? Click here to submit your event listings to our Community Events Calendar. If we can't include your events in our monthly e-newsletter, we will be happy to share them on our social media channels.
Helpful Links
We At Stronger Together

Thank you to our new and continuing supporters!

Russ Cohen

Paul Funch

Thank You
for your support
DONATE
JOIN / RENEW
SHARE THIS NEWSLETTER WITH FRIENDS
LinkedIn Share This Email
SHARE YOUR TREASURES
Freedom's Way National Heritage Area
94 Jackson Rd, Ste 311, Devens, MA 01434
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram

Freedom's Way National Heritage Area is managed by Freedom's Way Heritage Association, Inc., a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that works in partnership with the National Park Service to promote the regional identity of 45 communities in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Freedom's Way National Heritage Area

94 Jackson Road, Suite 311, Devens, MA 01434

m...@freedomsway.org | www.freedomsway.org

Copyright © 2022. All Rights Reserved.