*Native?*

>From Claude ai:

To the best of my knowledge, there are no Astilbe species that are native
to North America. All known Astilbe species are native to Asia, primarily
eastern Asia.

 However, it's worth noting that there is one species that was once thought
to be native to North America: Astilbe biternata, also known as False
Goat's Beard or Appalachian False Goat's Beard, was previously classified
as an Astilbe.

It is found in the southeastern United States, particularly in the
Appalachian Mountains. However, modern botanical classification has moved
this plant to a different genus. It is now officially known as Aruncus
dioicus var. pubescens or sometimes as Aruncus biternatus.

This reclassification reflects its closer relationship to the genus Aruncus
rather than Astilbe. So while there is a plant that looks similar to
Astilbe and was once classified as such, there are no true Astilbe species
native to North America. All Astilbes found in North American gardens are
introduced species or cultivars derived from Asian species.