Dear Steve,

Florian Jaeger and I had an off-list conversation about this. Since the
random slope of group by items is estimating a distribution over items,
some of the items can be omitted and the model will still fit. In fact, it
actually has a reasonable good estimate for the item-specific effects of
group. Please see attached code for results.

In these data there are some convergence issues, but these seem to be
highly dependent on the particular items excluded (and the particular
distribution of participants across groups). This gets quite a bit worse as
the number of overlapping items gets smaller and smaller. A more systematic
study with simulated data is definitely in order, but I haven’t done that.

An alternative approach which won’t suffer from the same convergence issues
is to use a Bayesian model. That might be the right way to go in this case.

Thanks, Florian, for discussion of this!
Matt