Kerry Thompson wrote:
>   - slow as hell: directly interpreted source code. The runtime
> engine reads
> the source code directly and figures out how to execute it.

Out of curiosity I also tried the same in PHP (interpreted language)
the empty repeat loop:

$m0 = microtime(1);
for ($i=0; $i<100000000; $i++);
$m1 = microtime(1);

took 57.5 sec, which is about the double of lingo.

I totally agree that this comparisson of course doesn't say anything
about the "quality" of director, C or PHP. And I also think that the
time a step in a repeat loop takes in the real world is totally
negligible compared to string or image manipulation routines etc. But it
might still be interesting to know the ratios for different sort of
tasks.

Valentin