I got it, it's really possible to "publish from the commandline" with
DMX2004 and windows.

this is how:

1) create a little dir (e.g. 240 * 32 px) with the following
frame-script on frame 2 or later:

on exitFrame
  cl=the commandLine
  if cl.word[1] = "-p" then
    tell the stage
      go movie cl.word[2]
      dispatchCommand(4104)
      quit()
    end tell
  end if
end

mark this movie as "dockable" in the display template settings, save it
(e.g. as "publish.dir"), close director, put it in director's xtras
folder, restart director, open the movie (miaw xtra) and "dock" it to
some permanently visible panel.

done.

from now on, whenever you start director from the commandline (DOS box)
with a line like

Director.exe -p test.dir

director will popup, open test.dir, publish it (with the last choosen
publish settings) and quit again. if you open it normally (without the
"-p" switch) nothing has changed.

to optimize the publishing speed, you can also duplicate your director
folder, and in the duplicate folder which is only meant for commandline
publishing throw away everything that is not really needed, especially
all the authoring xtras. AFAIK the only xtra that is definetely required
for director to start is the Text Xtra, and of course you need the
UIHelper.x32 xtra, plus the xtras that are needed for your movie
(test.dir).
In my test such a "minimal director" opened, published and closed really
fast.

Valentin