Pedja wrote:
I've stumbled across this web page few days ago: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~jab00/mouse/ (don't read if you are of a
sensitive disposition)

LOL! This just makes me glad I gave up having desktop PCs years ago.

"Yes, I do now realise it was a mistake to loose that ATX back plate. I
recommend nobody else does this."

I should think so. Everyone knows what a backplate is for:

1 - RF shielding to comply with FCC or CE rules.
2 - Proper air circulation for cooling.
3 - Avoiding dead rodents in the PC.

He should have known better. Though admittedly, when I had an ATX PC I
never bothered with a backplate either. Or for that matter, on one AT
system (for a couple of months) any insulation on the power switch. But
I don't recommend that either. It hurt. A lot.

- Robert