On 6/17/05 8:29 AM, "Carl West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> in MX, fileIO seems to be reading text in with linefeeds instead of
> returns. Did I miss something here? In 8.5 I recall it reading in with
> returns. Am I delusional? I'm sure I used to be able to use line[x] on
> text read-in by fileIO.

Hi Carl,

Are you creating your text files on Mac OS X with TextEdit?  In line with
Unix applications this uses linefeed characters for new lines.

Have you noticed the new FileIO method in DMX 2004:

  setNewlineConversion object me, integer on
  -- turn on/off automatic conversion of newline characters (Mac Only)

I created a text file using TextEdit, with a number of new lines.  I then
used the following to read in the file

vFileIO = xtra("fileio").new()
--vFileIO.setNewLineConversion(TRUE)
vFileIO.openFile(vFileIO.displayOpen(), 1)
vText = vFileIO.readFile()
vFileIO.closeFile()
put the number of lines of vText
-- 1

When I repeated the experiment with the second line of code uncommented,
vText now contained the expected number of lines.

Cheers,

James