> What would be the logic in Macromedia first releasing an
> installer that BEGS such alternatives, and then sticking
> with it through all of these complaints?

To be clear, these notions about alternate install procedures has been
around since the Shockwave 7 days, just making sure that's out there.
Second, the idea back then (pre-dates my time on QA or Product
Management, I was Tech Support team lead back then) was that a player
would be released that involved registration and the redirect to
shockwave.com as that was at that time part of Macromedia. Then as we
all know things changed over time and part of that was shockwave.com
becoming a separate company running its own business yet still in a
contractual agreement with us relating to the installation of the
Shockwave Player. So at the time of its release I think that things
seemed somewhat logical (one might question ever introducing
registration and a redirect of course ;) ), a change in the business
interest of Macromedia and its developers was made that altered the
install experience, as part of that some avenues were left in place for
folks to seek out alternate experiences.

So what's your choice given the install experience we have today (assume
with me for the moment that the install experience CANNOT be changed):

1. Have alternatives in place for those that want to pursue them
2. Don't have alternatives in place for those that want to pursue them

For the time being that's the world I and you must live in and work
with, and as such I'm happy that we can at least provide some options as
opposed to none. Now, along the way I too would like to have a
significantly streamlined install process and will continue to try and
reach that goal, but until then I'm working within the limitations as
best as I can. I know that there are many opinions (most negative! ;) )
about the history between Macromedia, the Shockwave Player,
shockwave.com and the install experience, but as much as I love having
those discussions for now I'm trying to provide information about what's
possible in today's world as that's what people need to do business
today. Going forward I am all in favor of as much install process
streamlining as possible so that ultimately we might one day see a
silent Shockwave installer as the generally available public (and free)
option.

> To arrange further payment to Macromedia and take on the additional
> difficulty?

Well, no. Do you look at purchasing Director as "arranging further
payment and take on the additional difficulty"? I'm struggling with how
to respond to you, sorry. The idea is that if you don't want to use the
free and publicly available install experience we can look into offering
you an alternate experience. Depending upon your needs (the client's
needs, the project's needs) that may or may not involve extra fees.
There is engineering time required plus ongoing maintenance and testing
of the alternate install experience and as such we may require fees as
part of licensing you or your client such an option. You are taking on
extra work and possible fees (or pass those on to the client) to achieve
a desired functional goal.

> Later, I notice you wrote:
>
> ",,,they often either pay money or go through quite a bit of
> hassle,,,"
>
> Hey, that sounds GREAT.

I have never said things were optimal, in fact the opposite as I've
often stated that I too believe that a silent and free install
experience might be the better way to go, but alas that decision is not
mine alone to make. I'm simply being honest about what the experience
might involve, it's a special licensing process that might involve fees
and hassle, have you ever worked with a legal department and thought it
wasn't "a bit of hassle"? ;) I'm simply making sure to set proper
expectations, that does not mean I necessarily thinks it's all "GREAT"
or in perfect order.

> How much cash and hassle will something like that typically
> set us back?

If you're seriously interested in pursuing such an option then you must
contact me offlist. I cannot provide blanket prices or quotes as it's
all too variable. Is this something you want on a long-term basis or is
it a short-term need for a specific promotion/launch effort? Do you want
it totally silent? Only registration/direct? Only the toolbar? Some
other combo? Expected traffic numbers? Etc. There are too many variables
in the mix for me to offer a generic price that means anything, contact
me offlist and we can work from there. We've done some of these with
zero fees paid (do recall I said these are likely to cost money, doesn't
mean they have to) and others have been quite pricey as they've spanned
long time periods.

Cheers,
Tom Higgins - Technical Product Manager
Macromedia Director and the Shockwave Player
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/thiggins/