> is it the # of the last element in a list?

Sorry, Buzz.  I should've been clearer.  I'm looking for a quick way to
take a path (string) and chop it down to just the file name.  I came up
with this:

on reduceToFileName(thePath)
  -- chops off all slashes (char 92) and returns just the file name.
  repeat with i = thePath.length down to 1
    if(charToNum(thePath.char[i]) = 92) then
      return thePath.char[(i+1)..(thePath.length)]
      exit repeat
    end if
  end repeat
End

-- example:
fileName = reduceToFileName("C:\Documents and
Settings\currentUser\Desktop\web.html")
put fileName
-- "web.html"

I figured simply getting the last index of the "\" would work easier.  I
could have sworn that at one time, Tom Higgins posted one line of MX2004
syntax to do this, and I just can't remember what it was, and that
dastardly lingo-L list yields no results.  :-)

Thanks,
- Michael M.