Bart,

> just looking at using a "List" flash component. Have been
> able at feeding data to the list but now I wonder how I can
> change the hilite color  for the component?
>
> More general question
>
> Any good resource for looking at flash components and lingo ?

In general your best bet for documentation on the Flash components, is
the Flash documentation (I know, flog away on how we really should have
them covered well in our docs as I cannot argue that - but you asked
where the best place to look is and so I'm offering up what I think is
the best place). Specifically you can check the posted LiveDocs copies
of their help and through that get a better idea about the properties
and methods each exposes, plus more details on how to use each.

For example, in order to see more style-related information for the List
component in particular have a look at this Flash LiveDocs page:

<http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flash/8/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhe
lp.htm?href=Part2_Using.html>

Note: watch for line-wrapping.

At the above URL you will see a list of List component style properties,
all of which should be exposed to setting using the setStyles() method
in Director (Flash sprite method). Be aware though that you'll need to
feed in the correct/expected data type, in setting colors the component
expects a hex color value (0xRRGGBB) or an integer color value. Being as
the hex color values aren't supported in Director you'll need to convert
your color to an integer first:

tColorInt = (red*65536) + (green*256) + blue

Where the red, green and blue values are traditional 0-255 color values
like you would use in Director's own color() or rgb() functions.

For links to Flash product documentation, including their LiveDocs, go
here:

<http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flash/>

Cheers,
Tom Higgins
Product Manager | Director & the Shockwave Player
Adobe Systems Incorporated