I'm in agreement with Sean, check what value(gLanguagage) gives you. If I understand correctly since gLanguage is a string ("english" or "spanish") then the statement should just be something like

sprite(SpriteNum).member = member("Capital", gLanguage)

As far as other ideas for dealing with language, I work with English and French versions of programs all the time and I have 2 external casts, one English, one French they have their equivalent members named exactly the same and residing in the same positions. Only one of these casts is linked to the movie. The movie will then dynamically change the file name of my "language" cast to either the English or French depending on the users choice. Works great, no special coding, just make the swap and you're in business.

hth,

Rob