hi slava,

When a Shockwave applet embedded in a Web page plays a media file
(e.g. QT or Flash video) from the server, where is that file downloaded to on the user's machine? I don't see it in the Shockwave DswMedia folder for the current user, and I don't see it in the browser's cache folder. Where
is it?

maybe it's not stored locally, but just streamed? when embedding QT in a web page, there is attribute cache=TRUE|FALSE that specifies if the movie should be cached in the browser cache. maybe it's always turned off for QT in shockwave?

Actually, I'm interested in preventing the Web visitor from being
able to save the media file that's playing within my Shockwave app in the Web
page. Can that be achieved? With QT media? With Flash media?

well, if the user has some HTTP sniffer (like e.g. TCP viewer), he can still see the HTTP request of the shockwave movie for retrieving the mov, which looks like:

GET /mov/test.mov HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost:80
Cache-Control: no-cache

and so easily find out the URL of the mov and directly download it with the browser or some other download tool.

cheers
valentin