Yeah, honestly this sounds like a hack - given the size of harddrives and
video cards today, I think any control of a laserdisc/vcr is pre '90.

Can't you encode the movie and keep it uncompressed? I mean, an hour of
video is 12 gigs, right? Something like that? And honestly too, if you
even compress it with mpeg2, with 10 bitrate it's going to look pretty
good.