At 6:41 PM -0600 2/17/02, you wrote:
>Ok, I'm a tad confused...
>
>I know of two non-macromedia apps that use the SWA Export xtra from
>Soundedit fame to compress aiff to mp3 (mp3 encoder and Peak use it as a
>regular plugin). The xtra itself doesn't have an 'interface' so I don't
>know how these programs hook into the xtra and export the mp3 -- any
>ideas?

The information you desire is not publicly available info.

'mp3 encoder' hacked the SWA Export Xtra's interface.
'back engineered the COM' means 'reverse engineered the Xtra interface'.

BIAS, Inc. has cross technology/product agreements with MACR.

>Would seem that director would be able to export mp3 as well...

It certainly could.

Director DOES know how to make mp3 from 'traditional' sound formats.

1. the SWA Compression Xtra gets called deep within the Publish
function to compress the internal sound cast members into compressed
sound cast members & then the compressed data gets written into a DCR
or CCT.

2. Director Windows ships with an Xtra that can convert .WAV files to .SWA.
This Xtra could certainly be modified to offer .mp3 files as output
(as well as SWA) or it could accept .aif (Audio Interchange Format)
as input.
note: both of these ideas have been suggested as ECRs & got deferred.

btw: If what you need is to make .mp3 files, I believe that there are
available squishin' applications out there ... even DOS ones which
can run batch files driven by text files ...

hth

-Buzz