Mattias,

There's many other variables with video compression you need to consider when
optimizing for system speed - not just the shell they come in.

First off, I would strongly suggest using QuickTime - I have had some pretty
flaky results with AVI and it is quickly becoming obsolete.  Also, lingo has
much more control over QT than other formats.  You could also consider MPEG-1
if you are delivering on a PC, but you will require an Xtra such as DirectMedia.

To minimize user aggravation, you can build a launcher movie or frame that
simply checks the system for the QuickTime version and if older or
non-existent, launches QT for Windows.  They will still have to go through the
install process, but at least they are prompted.

Other considerations with video compression:

Flavour of CODEC: Many to choose from - Cinepak is an older algorithm and is
more grainy than others, but runs extremely well and in sync on slower
machines.  Indeo is great for Windows delivery and sits somewhere in the middle
of the quality versus speed scale.  Sorenson is beautiful video, small file
size, but needs a faster processor to support it.
Pixel Size: Commonly 320x240 - the smaller the dimensions the less processor
power needed.  For older, slower machines go as small as is acceptable.
Data Rate: You can cap the data rate based on a maximum number of
kilobytes/second.  The lower you cap the maximum data transfer at, the slower
the machine it will run on.
Finally, there are other issues such as frames/second, keyframing, audio file
size, etc.  The point is, all these things are directly  related to speed of
machine for playback.  The trick is testing it on your target machine and
coming up with a formula that runs optimally and still delivers acceptable
quality.

As a sidenote, I have found that preloading digital video members when needed
and then unloading after use helps RAM manage the streaming process.  You can
use preLoadRAM to specify how many seconds of the video you want to preLoad
based on data rate.  Regardless, if you are trying to push to much data through
too slow a system, its going to choke.

HTH,
--Craig

Craig Taylor
Renegade Digital Media Inc.

Hi! (I typed this message before but i dont know if i got any answers)

What is the best way of showing movies in Director?(qt, avi or anything
else) I´m about to import 7 movies (8-14 mb/ mov) after eachother in
director.
Im going to put everything directly on cd-rom and let user run it directly
from the cd-rom.
Everything must run pretty smooth even on slow comp like for example Pentium
166, 32MB ram, 4MB graphic memory.

If possible a dont want user to install any program like quiktime but I
rather do it if its the best way of doing it.
So in an experiment ive made a stub movie and in the movie where I have the
avi and qt movies im using function preLoadRAM and I crossed checkbox for
preload in cast for every avi movie. Also I tried the function preloadMovie.
With that I try to preload the movie with all of my qt and avi movies but
that didnt matter. It runs as fast or as slow with or without it.

Still Quicktime seem to run best on slow comp.
But I´m sure need some advice to get good performance on slow comp.
Does anybody know what to do? Any suggestions?

/Mattias