----- Original Message -----
From: "Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: <lingo-l> using a varaible to refer to aproerty list name

> >  in essence how do I use a variable name to refer to an individual
list??

> In your particular situation, there's no need to. Stick all of your
property
> lists into a linear list, sequentially, eg
>
> obstacles = [obstacle1, obstacle2,  ...obstacle23]
>
> Then get to obstacle3.lstat by typing:
>
> obstacles[3].lstat
>
> Overall your list management is easier if you encapsulate all your
proplists
> in a linear list.
>
> What you were doing was assigning a string variable to droppername, not
the
> name of a variable. There are ways to do what you were thinking, but they
> can get sloppy if you're not careful.
>
> I should have been in bed hours ago...
>
> Cya,
>
> Pez

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  (Problems, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]). Lingo-L is
for learning and helping with programming Lingo.  Thanks!]

Thanks a lot, pez (and andreas),
 my original workaround was  baroque (but worked). Building a string of the
property name and the list using "do". Inelegant,brutal and processor
sapping. A list of lists should cut down the overhead
cheers

wobbly

---