>> I've been trying to build a project with a student that write's to a
>> text / field cast member in real time, the problem arise's when we
>> try to format ( size ) the text input dependent upon another input.
>> We seem not to be able to have multiple size's or colors within the
>> same member.
>> Obviously this possible if you do it manually, should it then not be
>> possible to do it on the fly with lingo ?
>
> You want to format individual words, lines, etc? Well, if you are
> really using #text members (which are *not* the same as #field
> members) you can look up the Lingo commands which are associated with
> such things as selection, selStart, selEnd, selectedText, etc.

I think Warren read "another input" as "user input". I read it as some
imported formatting instructions. In that case, you don't really need the
selection commands. What you want to look into are the chunk expressions and
formatting commands - such as:

member("a member").word[4].color = rgb(100,100,0)
member("a member").char[18..36].font = "Arial"
member("a member").line[2].fontsize = 14
member("a member").line[2].fixedLineSpace = 24

and so on.

-Kurt