>> You need to
>> read, not scan, my opinionated volatile alter-ego.
>
> No, I'd rather not. That requires far too much effort -- effort I
> could spend on pontification.

LOL. You do have a knack for it.

>> Ok, I'll rise to the bait.
>>
>> Film clips.
>>
>> Vector graphics
>>
>> Vector-based text
>>
>> I'm gonna get creamed for this, but I think ActionScript is a better
>> language than Lingo.
>

> Allow me:
>
> You meant movie clips I guess. Between MIAWs, film loops, LDMs, and
> Flash if you must, Director doesn't do too bad.
>
> Director has shapes, vectors, and Flash.
>
> What do you suppose is going on behind the scenes when you use
> embedded outline fonts?
>
> Lingo can be used in a way that is easy for humans to understand, or
> in ways that are easier for geeks to understand. ActionScript is just
> geared towards geeks.

This is why I jumped into the thread... To get Colin and Kerry arguing.
Actually, I just like the more abstract threads. It would be interesting to
come up with some optimization tests that involve pure Dir, pure Flash, and
Flash inside Dir for the above stuff. Tough to get accurate benchmarks for
#2 vs. #1 and #3, but comparisons for #1 and #3 should be at least somewhat
accurate.

As I stated before, I've been down on Flash from the get-go. Not because of
the language - I also prefer Javascript in some ways - but because of the
authoring environment. It always seemed like a weird hash... a more "geeky"
language shoe-horned into a very non-geek interface. Perhaps it's just me,
but I find it much more difficult to structure my more complex functionality
in Flash - not that I spent that much time trying. Time to change, though. I
think my point in this thread is that to ignore Flash is to have one's head
in the sand, which I think was Kerry's original point.

Just my opinion, but whether you call it Actionscript or Javascript, it's
worth a look. Shockwave fits nicely into the overall picture, but it's only
one piece of the puzzle.

Pontificating,
kurt