Hi Warren,

I am quite platform-agnostic, but I do like the premise of Open-Source
software. The Squeak language is something I have come across over the years
and it seems to be steadily developing into a Director-like tool but with
many, many more advantages. Imagine Director that was opensource, editable,
and recompilable... If we don't like how Macromedia is doing things, then
hey, we can go create our own module to plug into it and add functionality
(kind of like Xtras, but all the way down to the fundamental App level).
Also interesting is that Alan Kay is one of the people behind squeak,
ironically enough. Perhaps squeak is his solution for Apple and MS making
BILLIONS off of his team's ideas. Anyway, be sure to check it out at:

http://www.squeak.org/index.html

The virtual machine is a lot like Java, but MUCH MUCH faster and Squeak is
also completely PLATFORM INDEPENDANT. Makes sense to me...now they just need
to get 200 million people to download the virual machine :0)

~Mathew J. Ray
Senior Interactive Design Student
www.seriphdesign.com/mathew

<snip>
The closest I have seen to a Directoresque language for nix is Python, which
is another one of those command-prompt languages (initially). But it doesn't
have the particular suite of graphic,
sound and time manipulation tools Director owns which makes it such a
distinctly usable critter. Director is really rather unique in that sense --
invented *after* GUIs became widely available, it is one of the few major
programmer tools that doesn't more or less require you to start with ASCII
and project files in text format. It incorporates the graphics from the
start. I like that, and I think a lot of UNIX programmers would like it too.
</snip>