If you already know the number of the sprite you are interested in,
you could also do a repeated check of that sprite using "the
rollover", like ckeckin for sprite 5:

on exitFrame me
   currentSprite = the rollover

   if currentSprite = 5 then
     -- do something with the color
   end if
end

This might not feel 100% tight though, depending on your frame rate
and if the movie is having trouble keeping up with the current tempo.

-A.