hmmmm activeX control you say?....i totally forgot that it was an option...i
think i might like it...but in those cases (activeX, dll, text file,
database), i still have to have Director ask if there's new data out there
even if there's not (possibly resource wasteful), right?

I threw out the text file option cause i was worried about synchronicity and
file lock outs...not sure if it was a valid fear, but since i have the more
direct option of querrying the data source, i thought i'd go that way
preferrably.

thanks for the idea spark, i'll investigate more...
Evan