I'm not sure why you can't put your code in frame 2 instead of frame
1? It's usually a good idea to allow 1 or 2 frames for Director to
catch up, after loading a movie.

Please note: If you are affecting another sprite in your
"beginSprite" handler, the other sprite needs to already be
instanciated. This means that if your code is attached to a sprite
with a lower sprite number than 16, it will not work as sprite 16
doesn't exist yet. If your code resides in sprite 16 or greater, it
should work.

If you can't move the code to frame 2, you can always use a timeOut object:

------------------------------------

-- Allowing 100 ms before calling startMe:

on beginSprite me
   timeOut("delayedInit").new(100, #startMe, me)
end

-- The timeout will call startMe every 10th of a second
-- so we need to kill it after the first call:

on startme me -- Added the "me" object reference

   timeOut("delayedInit").forget() -- Killing the timeOut object

   sprite(16).AreaOfInterest=rect(100,2300,200,2500)
   playbackbuffermovie (sprite 16, "whorufinished.mov", #loop)
   sprite(16).FieldOfView=45
   -- end if -- PLEASE REMOVE THIS!!!
end

HTH & Good luck